Best and Worst Husker Memories

I'm curious to what everyone's best and worst Nebraska memories are....? List the top three (or more) memories for each and rank them accordingly. My best Husker memories are: 1. Osborne's last game versus Tennessee (1998 Orange Bowl) and seeing him go out in style! Seeing Peyton play was exciting too. 2. The hiring of Pelini - there's so much anticipation for next season!! 3. Fiesta bowl with Frazier's run 4. Crouch's TD reception against Oklahoma Worst Nebraska memories are: 1. Osborne's retiring ( I was still in high school when this happened, I remember they pulled a TV into my math class so we could watch the press conference. I stayed in the math room to watch the entire conference, and subsequently got in trouble for being late for my next class.) 2. Hearing on the radio about the tragedy of Brook Berringer. I remember I was in my high school locker room - everyone was shocked and didn't know what to say. 3. Realizing Callahan was slowly and surely destroying the program that took so long for so many people to build up. 'nuff said.

How about anybody else?

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Best Husker Memories

Jan 1-2, 1995: Nebraska wins the national title over Miami. I was in high school and watched the game with my family. We then proceeded to change between all the channels to get highlights of the game before (almost) everybody called it a night around 2 AM. I stayed up and watched the game again, still not ready for bed. Around 6 AM I was sitting on my front porch waiting for the Omaha World Herald. The delivery guy gave me the paper and I read the headline and saw the big picture on the front page. I put the paper on the dining room table and went to bed for a few hours of sleep. Why do I continue on the 2nd, well there was the party at Devaney (which I watched on tv) and laughing as PSU played a meaningless Rose Bowl game.

1996 Fiesta Bowl: Is anybody still shocked that this game was over at halftime? I am. I remember kicking back watching the second half. I think I did more clock watching and listening to the radio call than watch the game in the second half

1994 Colorado game. Remember this was the 250th consecutive sellout. I made it to #251 against K-state that year (I have a friend in Lincoln who's fam has season tickets). What a great game, just wish I had a DVD or video of it. That is one game I can watch over and over.

Worst memories

Losing to Oklahoma in the mid-80s. The worst was the 27-7 game where our D had to score a TD to prevent a shutout

Brook Berringer's plane crash. I was in college at the time and most of the day I was thinking there was 2 plane crashes in the great state. After 4-5 hours of trying to find out something, I finally learned there was only one crash and Brook was the pilot. Very sad day.

The firing of Frank Solich. I am a relatively young Nebraska fan (born in the mid-70s.) All my life I had known two things about Nebraska football and they were #1. the power running game and #2. we were different from other programs in that yes the fans did get frustrated by the losses to Oklahoma or in bowl games, but the one thing that wouldn't happen is that the university would pull the plug and fire the coach. The season prior much of the coordinators were let go and new ones brought in (including Coach Pelini), ut it still kinda felt like family because Frank hired them. The next year however, Frank was let go and not longer after the entire coaching staff. At that moment I thought Nebraska had lost its identity and became just another university. I will admit I was kinda excited about the hiring of Callahan (I wanted Houston Nutt, Bo Pelini, or Tony Samuel as coach, keep it in family). I was even out in charge by my family to give them a crash course on the West Coast offense ( I guess they thought all of the hours of NCAA football for the PS2 should work for something, besides I am the football junkie), but it turned sour quick to the point when Colorado won last year I actually cheered, for about 5 seconds, cause I knew BC would surely be fired.

Now time for a run of new good memories. Go Big Red, Restore the Order, Go Coach Pelini and the Blackshirts

-Chris
  • Worst memory for me was watching the Huskers lose to Missouri in 1978 and then get matched up against Oklahoma for a rematch in the Orange Bowl. And then I moved to Seattle several years later and had to cheer for Phil Bradley as the Mariners left fielder. But that game was cold, I was hung over, the Huskers were ranked number one, had just beaten Oklahoma and were a lock for another national championship. Rick Berns opened the first series with an 80 yard touchdown on the first play, running right toward me in the north end zone. The game was in the bag for about 15 minutes and then the wheels came off. I still shake my head when I think about it.
This reply was deleted.