6 Sep 2017, Cornhusker News of the Day.

The latest news about all things Husker, stop back throughout the day to get updates as they become available.  Go Big Red!

What you will Find in Today's News:

Quick hits, news and notes, Tuesday's Practice

Early Bowl Projections

Oregon notes: Ducks coach Willie Taggart has connection to Nebraska legend

Oregon Ducks’ offensive swagger appears to be back with a healthy Royce Freeman leading the way

Oregon Ducks' Tyrell Crosby looking forward to facing Nebraska, one year after season-ending injury

True freshman nose tackle Thomas grateful for veteran 'brothers' on Husker line

Tale of the Tape: Arkansas State's Success with Screens

Turner Gill, Joe Dailey And Ron Brown Lead Liberty University In Massive Upset Over Baylor

Red Report: Langsdorf a perfectionist; three true freshmen played Week 1

Huskers have better shot at Oregon victory than most believe

Grad transfer pitcher brings experience to Huskers

Cristobal Focuses in on Cornhusker Defense

Miami Cancels Game Against Arkansas State Due To Hurricane Irma

Langsdorf wants Nebraska to Clean Up, Finish Better as Oregon Looms

Two 4-Star Visitors Confirmed for the NIU Game

Nebraska vs. Oregon: Drew and Reed Brown separated by schools, but not by brotherhood and friendship   

26,000 and counting — UNL breaks enrollment record set last year

'Sleepness nights' for Huskers after special teams on point at times, off track at others against Arkansas State

Fires in Oregon have officials checking the air quality, Smoked Duck anyone?

5 things Nebraska must do to beat Oregon

By the Numbers: Nebraska 3 keys on offense, 3 keys on Defense

An explanation for the Blackshirts’ dyed hair

Hurricanes use a Hurricane to avoid playing a game they don't want to play.

Nebraska volleyball announces plans to retire Jordan Larson’s jersey 

Huskers Wrap Up Non-Conference Slate at Home

Air quality improves to ‘unhealthy’ ahead of Nebraska’s game at Oregon   

Urbana resident McGhee set to join Nebraska Football Hall of Fame

Is Nebraska making progress or starting over? Answer will come soon enough

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is Nebraska making progress or starting over? Answer will come soon enough

Great read Low thanks

• 34260459?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Defensive tackle Deontre Thomas heads to Nebraska football practice Tuesday at Hawks Championship Center

True freshman nose tackle Thomas grateful for veteran 'brothers' on Husker line

Deontre Thomas isn't afraid to admit he felt a bit edgy.

In fact, he smiles as he tells you all about his eventful Saturday night at Memorial Stadium.

As he emerged from the pregame Tunnel Walk, the Nebraska true freshman nose tackle said he had the chills — the good kind of chills, the ones that occur when something happens in life that seems simultaneously surreal and meant to be.

"Honestly, I was nervous," Thomas told reporters following Tuesday's practice. "I'm not going to lie."

A graduate of Mustang (Oklahoma) High School, Thomas conducted the interview as three Husker sophomore defensive linemen — DaiShon Neal and twins Khalil Davis and Carlos Davis — stood behind him, as if to protect and comfort the rookie as he faced a half-dozen media members.

"They're my brothers. I look up to them," Thomas said. "We do everything together. This is my squad. They tell me what to do and I do it."

Whatever they're telling him, it seems to be working well. Thomas, linebacker Avery Roberts and wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey were the only Nebraska true freshmen to see action in Saturday night's 43-36 victory against Arkansas State

• 34260394?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Quick hits, news and notes, Tuesday's Practice

Quick hits, news and notes from Nebraska's Tuesday practice as the Huskers continue prep for Oregon.

>> Offensive tackle David Knevel didn't practice on Tuesday and was seen at practice wearing a walking boot on his right foot. Offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh said the coaching staff is confident that Knevel will be able to play against Oregon.

>> Matt Farniok is next man up if David Knevel is unable to go. Cavanaugh said Farniok's good fall camp has set him up for this and the lineman got a few snaps against Arkansas State. He was hanging around late at practice to get some extra work in at tackle. The plan is ultimately to move him inside, but for now Farniok is set to help the Huskers at tackle. Cavanaugh compared him to Cole Conrad in terms of versatility.

>> Senior wide receiver De'Mornay Pierson-El didn't practice again on Tuesday, but is expected to get back on the field on Wednesday as he nurses a sore shoulder.

>> Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said he thought there were things to clean up from Saturday's game. He made note of penalties and protection issues as being somewhat glaring.

>> The Husker offense couldn't close the door itself on its last offensive series, failing twice on throws after getting to second-and-medium. Asked about playcalling on those drives, Langsdorf said, "Well, we needed a first down. And I think when you get into a situation like that where you get seven minutes to go, you're controlling the ball, we have a third-and-four that we're in good shape on that, (and) we blow the protection. To have an open route for a first down ... (Tanner Lee) gets chased out of the pocket and throws one low. I think it was a good play, and it was a three-man rush, and we got hurried on a three-man pressure, which is silly with five men protecting. We needed to execute better on that play."

>> Langsdorf said Oregon does a nice job of changing and disguises coverages. He said JD Spielman will be key for helping to move the ball and expose holes in coverage.

>> Langsdorf said Autzen Stadium is one of the top five toughest places he's coached. He said in the past his teams have struggled to hear on the phones in the stadium. "It is unsettling, and they have to really focus on the ball and make sure the false starts don't become an issue," Langsdorf said.

>> Langsdorf said Nebraska's staff is plenty familiar with Eugene. The Huskers will be staying in the same hotel Riley's staff did at Oregon State when they played Oregon.

>> Linebacker Luke Gifford said he played all 89 defensive snaps in Saturday's win over Arkansas State.

>> Nebraska nose tackle Deontre Thomas had a bunch of friends and family in Memorial Stadium on Saturday for the contest against Arkansas State. He called his first playing experience amazing and said he was pleased he was able to be on the field at the end of the game, as the Huskers outlasted the Red Wolves. 

Thomas was flanked by his defensive teammates after practice while talking with the media. Khalil Davis said Thomas being on the field at the end was the result of “kicking ass” during August. 

>> Wide receivers coach Keith Williams said Oregon returns a few defensive backs from last year and what the team has added, includes several players the Huskers were recruiting last cycle. Williams said the front for the Ducks is the biggest difference between last year’s defense and this year’s, but also noted that for his receivers not much changes: Beat your guy to the spot, make the catch.

>> Mike Cavanaugh felt Nebraska’s increased athleticism allows the Huskers to better utilize pulling linemen in 2017. As a result, Nebraska had several strong power runs, getting linemen out in front of Tre Bryant to open holes. Cavanaugh said he thinks those runs can be consistent throughout the offense, but also anticipates the Huskers doing well with zone blocking schemes too. 

>> Pass protection wasn’t good enough for Cavanaugh’s liking. He felt the line had to do a better job of recognition and ultimately prevention then what it did on Saturday. 

>> Senior tight end Connor Ketter played the first meaningful snaps at tight end of his Husker career this past Saturday, serving a role of more a blocking tight end as the next guy at that position with Tyler Hoppes. "It was awesome. I loved it. I love it when we can just run down the field the whole series and not have to pass and I just get to stay in," Ketter said. "It was good times. If we could do that all game, I'd love to do that."

>> Out of Norfolk Catholic, Ketter said he has a kinship with Hoppes. Both have fought behind the scenes before rising into key roles for this team in 2017 in their final seasons in Lincoln. "I would say Tyler is probably my best friend of the team. We've been talking about it, just waiting our turn, and it feels good to know that everything has paid off and we're getting work

• Picture of Oregon Stadium yesterday

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Image may contain: text

This reply was deleted.