31 Aug 2017, Late Cornhusker News of the Day.

What you'll find in this evening's news:

Mike Riley weighs in on Stanley Morgan Jr., Antonio Reed, as well as injuries for Saturday's game.

Nebraska head coach Mike Riley said Thursday that wide receiver Stanley Morgan Jr., and safety Antonio Reed won’t face any further disciplinary action following offseason citations for marijuana possession in Florida.

Charges against Morgan and Reed were dropped, and Riley said both players did the things required of them during the summer.

Stanley Morgan and Antonio Reed went through an extensive period of time doing what they were supposed to do, and it wasn’t just the extensive time period," Riley said. "What they did, they had to do and spend time with it. They will not miss any time playing in the games.”

Riley said wide receiver Keyan Williams will not play in Saturday’s game against Arkansas State because of a nagging hamstring injury, but beyond that, Nebraska is healthy heading into Saturday’s opener.

"There are no new injuries where we expect a guy not to play," Riley said. "This was good to get through this day that way. I lost a receiver one Friday when he was messing around trying to dunk a ball over the goalpost and busted up his hip. That was a first. We don't allow that any more."

Author

Michael Bruntz

Quick Hits after a final chat with Riley before opener

Mike Riley doesn't have to see any of us again until his team plays a football game. The talking portion of the offseason is officially over after Thursday's post-practice interviews inside Memorial Stadium.

Some quick hits two days before the Huskers take the field against Arkansas State:

— No suspensions for Stanley Morgan and Antonio Reed after an offseason incident. Riley liked their response and charges against the two Huskers were also eventually dropped.

— No new injury information to know about. Wide receiver Keyan Williams (hamstring) is out, but that was expected.

— The Huskers will have a walk-through practice tomorrow, then stay at the team hotel as they usually do. Since it's a night game, Riley said there will be some sort of morning activity on Saturday so guys don't just sit around in the hotel all day.

"Sometimes you can just get caught in a hotel all day long and not get a bit of fresh air until you walk out to the bus. I've always not liked that so we're going to change some stuff up and try to get them a little more active in the morning."

But Riley said guys have to also be trained to just not care what time a game kicks off because they are going to be all over the place during a season.

— Riley thinks sophomore punter Caleb Lightbourn has showed "improvement all around in his ability to be consistent." The coach is excited for him "because I think he's really talented, I think he's worked at it, and I think we're going to see a good consistent year from Caleb."

— True freshman Deontre Thomas will definitely play as Mick Stoltenberg's backup at nose tackle. Damion Daniels remains on the fence as to whether he will play or redshirt. "(He's) a guy that we think can play in the games, and we certainly have prepared him to be game-ready. He has not been practicing with the scout team, he has been practicing with the defense. We expect him to be game-ready. We don't know if he'll play."

— Officials are going to be more strict about coaches staying on the sideline this year to not argue calls. Riley knows when there's an emphasis on a rule like that there are always plenty of those calls made early in the year to make a point. "And we just don't want it to be us. It's something to be really aware of. I think we've always been well-prepared that way." Riley has weight coaches assigned to certain coaches "and will hopefully tackle them before they go on the field."

— While Riley liked his no-drama camp, and thinks it's a good indication of their intentions for this season, he also said, "I think it gives you your best opportunity. It does not guarantee anything. You have to go play now. But I think it personally gives you your best opportunity to be at your best when you sacrifice and work, and do what you're supposed to do, and do it with 130 guys. It's pretty good."

Riley said the Huskers do have something planned to pay respects to Arkansas State coach Blake Anderson's wife, Wendy, who had breast cancer surgery this week.

— The Huskers will indeed start a running back, Riley confirmed with a smile. But he's not saying who steps on the field first.

— Riley said the last 24 hours before a game haven't changed for him. He loves it. Even after four decades in this business, every year brings a new experience.

"This world is always about people and it's always changing that way in my job. Every team forms a new identity and I'm energized by the formation of a team, and formation of a program, so every day's important to that. So I'm excited as it gets closer. You can feel it. You can feel it in the team. You can feel it around town. It's an exciting time of the year to be involved in what we do."

Author

Brian Christopherson

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –