The latest news about all things Husker, stop back throughout the day to get updates as they become available.  Go Big Red!

Image may contain: text

What you'll find in today's news:

Quick Hits: News and notes from Monday's practice (Game week)

Shatel: Overhyped? Tanner Lee looks up to challenge of Husker quarterback fish bowl

Huskers Expect Serious Pressure from Arkansas State Defensive Line

Nebraska football hands out 16 Blackshirt jerseys prior to Monday’s practice           

Blackshirt fulfills lifelong Dream for Gifford

Teammates laud senior fullback, Husker captain Luke McNitt for work ethic, leadership

Hometown Husker: Cole Conrad

Jaylin Bradley quickly growing in the eyes of Husker coaches

Former Nebraska QB and Katrina survivor Tommy Armstrong Jr.: ‘I understand exactly’ what Harvey victims are facing

Nebraska football: Coaches know, but Won't say who will take first snap at running back    

Cavanaugh enjoys Blackshirts tradition

Nebraska commit Brendan Radley-Hiles’ diary: Last Ride in the West  

Coaches talk plan for Gebbia

Riley discusses Blackshirt decisions

20 moments of Husker glory

The first draft is written; now it's up to Lee to start construction

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 34260305?profile=original

Nebraska football: Coaches know, but Won't say who will take first snap at running back  

Coach Mike Riley said Monday that he knows who will take the first snap at running back on Saturday. As far as the depth chart is concerned, Tre Bryant, Mikale Wilbon and Devine Ozigbo are all possibilities. They’re currently only separated by an ‘-OR-.’

The reason? According to offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf, no one has really taken off with the starting  job.

“It’s been a process with that group,” Langsdorf said after practice Monday. “It’s a little like last year where nobody has really separated tremendously ahead of the other guys, so it’s a group that has done a lot of good things, but it’s not one guy that has broken away from the pack.”

Regardless, Riley, Langsdorf and running backs coach Reggie Davis know who will take that first snap against Arkansas State. The decision came in the last week, with a hard look at each player going into the decision.

“There’s a lot of things you have to look at,” Davis said. “You have to look at overall production, mental mistakes, and you’ve got to look at physical attributes. You have to look at all of those things. We went down and looked at every facet of the game. Running the ball, pass protection, catching the ball, all of those things. Those were all factors in coming to our decision.”

So the depth chart may list a running back by committee, but the Huskers have an idea of what’s going to happen. At least for now.

“I won’t guarantee it, but my guess is they will all play, and some of them will be specific-situation guys,” Riley said.

More from Monday’s practice

• Freshman quarterback Tristan Gebbia was listed on the depth chart at No. 3 spot behind Tanner Lee and Patrick O’Brien. Langsdorf would prefer to redshirt Gebbia, but the staff likes the idea of him being game-ready if needed.

For now, Gebbia’s plan will look similar to O’Brien’s in 2016. He’ll be a part of the game-plan process, will continue to study film and travel with the team.

“We’ve talked about that thing,” Langsdorf said. “It’s been kind of ongoing. We’d like to do that just for the development, but we’ll have to see how it goes and how it plays out. Especially at that position where you’re not rotating a bunch of guys if you don’t have to, it kind of depends on the situation we’re in. That would be ideal for his progression.”

• Speaking of the quarterbacks, Langsdorf cautioned against overhyping Lee. While expectations are high, he also wants to be realistic.

“To say, ‘Well, he’s a first-rounder — it’s a sure thing,’ I think that’s kind of silly until he plays some games for the Huskers.”

• Langsdorf likes what he has seen from wide receiver JD Spielman. The redshirt freshman likely will be a big factor for Nebraska this season.

Spielman even drew a comparison to James Rodgers from Langsdorf.

“He’s in great shape,” Langsdorf said. “He’s had a lot of work during fall camp. I feel good about his conditioning. I think that he’s a guy that has deserved a lot of work. That has been helpful. We’ve had to use him a lot and he’s looked good doing it. I think he’s going to be ready to play. He’s going to be fun to watch.”

• One of Nebraska’s five captains this season is fullback Luke McNitt. During a press conference Monday morning, McNitt mentioned that it didn’t shock too many that he was named captain.

Langsdorf agrees.

“He was lifter of the year in the weight room, which shows his work ethic,” Langsdorf said. “I think that guys that work hard are usually looked at as leaders on the team and he’s … I wouldn’t say overall vocal, but he’ll speak up. I just think he’s a great worker and he’s a really great guy.”

• Before Monday’s practice, 16 Blackshirts were awarded. Linebacker Luke Gifford called it a “dream come true.”

• 34260309?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Riley discusses Blackshirt decisions

Nebraska handed out 16 Blackshirts prior to Monday’s practice, and on Tuesday, head coach Mike Riley explained the decision-making behind distributing the practice uniforms.

The third-year head coach said sub-groups like the nickel and dime, as well as prominent backups line inside linebacker Mohamed Barry, factored in the decisions. Each of Nebraska’s 11 starters, plus back-ups like Barry, Dicaprio Bootle, Khalil Davis, Antonio Reed and Luke Gifford received Blackshirts.

“We told (Bob Diaco) how we had been doing it and we went through the personnel last week once again and as we selected the guys, we selected guys who had been either in a situation where they were in a sub-unit — maybe the nickel situation or the dime —or played a big role in playing defense in the game, or in a situation like Mo Barry is where we feel like we’re in a 3-for-2 at inside linebacker,” Riley said. “With Dedrick Young and Chris Weber, Mo is going to play in the game and rotate in with them. We gave Mo a Blackshirt earning that 3-for-2 format.”

Author

Michael Bruntz

• 34260363?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Shatel: Overhyped? Tanner Lee looks up to challenge of Husker quarterback fish bowl

Talking season is not over. It’s just beginning. Finally, this week we’ll have something to talk about.

» Please explain: How can someone be overhyped or overrated if there hasn’t been a game yet?

A lot of folks around here are worried that Tanner Lee is overhyped. This just in: We need a game.

The Lee “hype” comes from two sources. First, from high marks given by NFL personnel folks who have seen him throw. Gee, what do they know?

It also comes from Husker fans and media who have fatigue from following two quarterbacks since 2010: Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong.

Skeptics cite Lee’s modest numbers while at Tulane. And while they have a point, if we’re comparing the talent around Lee at Tulane to what he has at Nebraska now, then there’s a problem.

There’s no problem. Embrace the hype. New quarterbacks, from Vince Ferragamo to Turner Gill to Tommie Frazier to Harrison Beck, have brought it with them to Lincoln for decades. Some surpass it, some get swallowed up.

Very few quarterbacks here in Football Land sneak in the side door. Zac Taylor did. Martinez fell out of the sky. Hype didn’t follow him until he turned the corner at Husky Stadium in Seattle.

Most fans have perspective and some will forget. Quarterbacks get too much credit and too much blame and all the hype. So what? Another way to spell “hype” is “hope.” It’s always better to have it than not.

What’s interesting is how individuals react to it. For a guy who hasn’t played in more than a year, and last played at Tulane, Lee acts like he’s been hyped his whole life.

On Monday he was thrown to the wolves at Mike Riley’s presser. Then was encircled outside in the hallway. Finally, he made his way down to a corner of the Memorial Stadium press box, where he did a Lincoln TV interview where he drew up plays on a board.

All the while, he smiled, shrugged, said being named captain was one of “the coolest things” to happen to him and said he couldn’t wait to play for Husker fans because he’s been an underdog his whole life.

The man inspiring the hype machine is understated, low on sound-bite fuel. It’s “Extremely blessed to be here” and “Extremely motivated” and “Just want to help the team” and “I’m going to be excited. We’re all going to be excited.”

He’s like a scene from “Bull Durham.”

Which is okey-dokey, because the man’s arm does all the talking. From what glimpses we’ve seen in fall practice, that right arm has been re-charged and is sending out electricity.

Riley thinks his guy is ready, but then we knew that back in July, when Riley brought the new guy to Chicago for Big Ten media days. You don’t do that if you think he’s going to go into shock.

Which raises a question: How will Riley handle the Lee hype? Will the game plan allow a cushion for Lee to get over first-game nerves, sort of ease his way into the role, week by week?

Or will Riley be totally comfortable with Lee and throw a lot at him — with Lee throwing a lot at Arkansas State?

The guess here is there won’t be any training wheels inside Memorial Stadium Saturday night. And the word “overhyped” won’t be in the air. Only accurate passes.

» I’m sure some grandstand coordinators and Nebraska tradition curators will point out that 16 is too many Blackshirts. Who knows? Each DC has his interpretation of the great tradition. Bottom line: Tackle somebody.

» Think of all the things you could use around Nebraska to promote Husker football — you know, make viewers want to watch the games — and Fox Sports picks out being lost in cornfields and sacrifices?

» Love that Riley says a handful of freshmen will play Saturday night. It sends the message — to the team and to recruits — that if you earn it, you’re going to play. Skill position players, especially, need to be on the field if they can make plays.

Wait a minute. Why are receiver and running back called “skill positions?” Don’t linemen have skills, too?

» Dave Rimington and Will Shields, on line two.

» A hearty thanks to the fight fans out there who bought the Mayweather-McGregor fight and then streamed it live on Twitter, so a cheapskate slug like me could watch it on my phone for free.

The fight was big fun. And that was the only idea here. Boxing fans can say they won, MMA fans can say they proved something, the fighters and promoters and gamblers (many of them) got rich and the rest of us were entertained. Perfect.

It’s safe to say both sides used the other to promote their own sport, but it’s hard not to see McGregor taking his career and MMA up a few notches. Will there be boxing fans who follow him now?

Here’s an idea for boxing: Go get the champ from Omaha. Make him the face and future of boxing. Go do it.

» Who needs Nebraska? Winning at third-ranked Washington feels like a game-changer for Creighton volleyball. That’s a chip that can be cashed in when regional bids are handed out. Now the Jays are in rare air, ranked No. 7. Well done, ladies. Now don’t look down. And don’t forget, everyone’s coming at you now. But that’s the fun part.

» One more and I’m outta here: Here’s a get-well card for a good friend of Omaha, Mike Moran, who just had successful triple-bypass open-heart surgery. Moran, a graduate of Westside High and UNO, is 75 years young and still works for the Colorado Springs Sports Corporation. He’s a longtime director of media for the U.S. Olympic Committee and still does several Olympic speaking gigs every year. Moran sent a photo of himself in the hospital wearing a “Mavericks basketball” shirt. The Maverick Mojo worked, because Moran is doing well and resting at home.

• 34260200?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Quick Hits: News and notes from Monday's practice (Game week)

Keith Williams wants a game just as much you do. "Can't wait. Wish today were Thursday," the Husker wide receivers coach said after Monday's practice.

NU offensive coaches did the talking after the practice five days before Saturday's opener against Arkansas State.

Some quick hits:

Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said Monday that pass protection will be at a premium for the Huskers in Saturday’s showdown with Arkansas State. He said he feels good about the team’s progress up front. 

— Langsdorf said he started the scout meeting with the challenge posed by Arkansas State’s defensive line. 

— Riley said the premium on pass protection won’t necessarily “tip the scales a ton.” 

— Langsdorf said he’s not prepared to discuss Nebraska’s plan at running back for the opener. 

— Langsdorf said he still gets nervous as season openers approach. “This has been a long camp. This has been a longer one than we’ve had in the past because of the rule changes and starting earlier. The butterflies are flying around pretty good.” 

— Langsdorf said he has heard the hype for Tanner Lee. “Cool your jets a little bit,” Langsdorf said. “I’m not being negative on that. It’s a lot more than just Tanner. He’s going to have to play well, but football being the ultimate team sport, there are 10 other guys on that offense. He can’t do everything, nor do we ask him to.”

— In the opener, Langsdorf said he just wants to play efficiently and look sharp. “We want to be clicking on all cylinders,” Langsdorf said.

>>> No. 11 from Arkansas State is on the mind of all Husker offensive coaches this week. Ja'Von Rolland-Jones has 30 1/2 career sacks and is 14 away from an FBS record. "Those edge players have to handle him. He's going to be a threat. He's going to be a challenge," said offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf.

"I started the scouting report with that, and made it understood this group can rush the passer, and they've proven that, and it's going to be a tough challenge for our line."

>>> Williams knew Tanner Lee before most here, having been on the Tulane staff when Lee was just starting at that program. Williams said he's not surprised at all Lee has risen to captain status so quickly. "When I spoke to his dad, I told him, 'This is the perfect place for Tanner.'" Added Williams: "Unless he was totally different than last time I was around him, I expected him to do something real soon."

>>> Another quote from Williams: "Coach Diaco, he's a mad scientist. He's got them all now. He's got them all. Obviously that helps, the more things you see as an offensive player, especially at wideout, the better you'll be. You have to make full-speed decisions in a lot of cases. That definitely has helped."

>>> Running backs coach Reggie Davis said the physical attributes are there for true freshman Jaylin Bradley, and his role will increase the more he learns the offense and gets comfortable with it.

>>> Four running backs are all ready to get their shot. Tre Bryant and Mikale Wilbon and Devine Ozigbo are all listed atop the depth chart with no clear separation. Davis still speaks of wanting to see that separation, though. "That's what we've been waiting on. We've been looking for that to see a guy really step out and separate himself. That's ideally what you like and you can just leave that guy in there and let him do his thing."

>>> The receiver coach's advice to freshmen like JD Spielman and Tyjon Lindsey is to just trust what they know. He says the good thing about Spielman is "Taz is not scared about anything." And, "Tyjon is a pretty cool customer for a freshman too, so I don't anticipate them just having a total meltdown. They're going to have some first-game anxiety but I don't think it will affect their play." The coach also expects Speilman to excel in that kickoff returner role.

>>> Arkansas State defensive backs like to press a lot, according to last year's film. "That's always a challenge, and as a wideout growing up, you think about going against man pressure. When someone "challenges you in your face, you've got to have some pride and win those competitions," Williams said.

>>> Williams is comfortable with the numbers he has at wide receiver, despite some injuries this camp. Keyan Williams (hamstring) is "a day-by-day thing."

>>> Fullback Luke McNitt is the first Husker captain out of the running backs room since Davis has been here. "It's just what he does, and the way that he does it," Davis said.

>>> Davis said he things current college players have seen enough parity in the game now that they understand a non-Power Five team can ruin the day of a team from a major conference in a hurry. "I think enough of those have happened, enough of those quote-unquote upsets have happened in these guys' lifetime, that it's fresh in their mind and they know that they have to come out and play their best ball if they want to win the game."

Author

Brian Christopherson

This reply was deleted.