The latest news about all things Husker, stop back throughout the day to get updates as they become available.  Go Big Red!

Image result for memorial stadium lincoln

What you'll find in today's news:

Breaking news Captains Chosen, Click Here for details

A breezy look at Huskers poised for a breakout in 2017

Lindsey can't talk yet, but actions on the field are speaking loudly

VB: Huskers fall in season Opener

Rahn a reminder why stories about walk-ons rising never get old

Husker sophomore Alex Davis hones pass rush skills in move to ‘Cat’ spot

How the class could finish for Nebraska

Nebraska football: One walkon without scholarship stands out

How the recruiting class could finish for Nebraska

IF YOU FOUND THE ARTICLES INTERESTING CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 34260079?profile=originalNebraska football: One walkon without scholarship stands out

Six Nebraska football walkons received official scholarships but one freshman stands out as not getting one

While the #Nebraska football team continues its youth movement [VIDEO], it announced that several upper classmen who joined the program as walkons are going to be full scholarship players. The announcement certainly brings a smile to every Husker fans' face as the regular season is now just a week away. If there was one player who didn't receive a scholarship yet that might be a bit of a surprise it would have to be a walkon running back who has been competing for a starting job.

Jaylin Bradley was not in the group of six players that received their scholarships on Thursday night. The running back out of Bellevue, Nebraska is a true freshman who has been raising the eyebrows of several coaches throughout fall camp.

There has even been some talk that he might be able to avoid a redshirt season, if he continues to practice the way he has so far. Despite talk of getting some serious playing time, he's going to remain someone who is paying his own way at this point.

Nebraska football team rewarding veterans first and foremost

The Land of 10 has the list of six players who were officially given scholarships and it's obvious that Mike Riley and his staff are making sure to reward those who have dedicated a few years to the program. Junior offensive lineman Cole Conrad, senior fullback Luke McNitt, senior receiver Gabe Rahn, junior receiver Brett Classen, and senior tight ends Tyler Hoppes and Connor Ketter are all officially scholarship athletes for the Cornhuskers.

Injury bug continues biting Nebraska football team

Bradley's position has been relatively healthy, with everyone on the running back depth chart managing to practice basically the entire fall camp. The same can't be said for the wide receiver position. The position has been extremely banged up and while most injuries have been relatively minor, it appears as though junior receiver Keyan Williams could miss some time.

After Thursday's Nebraska football practice, Riley admitted Williams had suffered a strained hamstring. At the moment, there isn't a timetable for his return. That kind of an injury likely means he'll miss the season opener against Arkansas State. #Jaylin Bradley #NCAA

• Image may contain: 1 person, text

• 34260181?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Husker sophomore Alex Davis hones pass rush skills in move to ‘Cat’ spot

LINCOLN — Alex Davis wasn’t sure how to backpedal. In his one year of high school football and two years at Nebraska, Davis had been a pass-rushing defensive end who went one direction. Forward.

In spring practice Davis moved to a linebacker position that defensive coordinator Bob Diaco calls the “Cat” in his 3-4 scheme. Davis had to quickly learn how to backpedal, since outside linebackers have to occasionally drop into pass coverage, usually guarding a short route either in the flat or over the middle.

“I made sure I didn’t go first,” Davis said. He watched other guys in line do it. When it was Davis’ turn, he tried to copy the best example before him, “flip my hips” and get to a drop zone. Coaches told him he did well.

“Every day I step out here, I learn something,” said Davis, NU’s potential starter at the Cat and a part of the four-man pass rush, too. “I learned something new today. It’s just the feel of the game. You can talk about it in the meeting room but, until you actually do it, you don’t get a feel for it.”

That’s not a cliché. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Davis spent most of his life as a basketball player. He took up football for his senior year of high school in Riviera Beach, Florida. He got a scholarship offer before he played in a game. He got a late offer from Nebraska, visited the school for the first time in January 2015, saw snow, and decided to pick the Huskers.

That was the first adjustment. Life in Nebraska, which he loves.

“You get jackets,” Davis said, referring to Adidas gear. “You can always warm up.”

Adjustment No. 2: high school football — one year, no less — to college.

“When I first stepped out there with them boys, man, it was a whole other game,” he said. “Before it was rushing average-sized guys. I was bigger than most of the guys I was rushing against. But these guys had me by 80, almost 100 pounds.”

First day of fall camp, Davis had to face lineman Alex Lewis. “A-Lew,” Davis calls him. Lewis was stronger, bigger and played with a nasty streak.

“He was very physical,” Davis said. “He helped me out a lot, though, especially in scout team, because I knew I had to give 100 percent or he’d put me on my butt.”

By the end of 2015, Davis started winning a few rounds with Lewis. The tackle — who now plays for the Ravens — even gave Davis pointers on the stuff that gave Lewis fits. Davis redshirted, but grew confident.

He also grew into his frame. Davis was closer to 220 pounds when he arrived. Eat, the coaches told him. So he did. All the time, whatever he could manage.

“Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and turkey sandwiches,” Davis said of his go-to foods.

Davis said he took the weight room seriously. He estimated he’s put on 35-40 pounds since arriving, and it’s all muscle at this point.

The sophomore looks like the prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. Long. Rangy. A good first step toward the quarterback. At the “Cat,” Davis will have a few more standard pass rushing duties than the “Dog” outside linebacker, where co-starters Luke Gifford and Marcus Newby are more versatile.

During camp, linebackers coach Trent Bray said Davis was consistent in his pass rushing skills and “getting better at it.”

“He’s growing,” Bray said. “He’s still learning how to play in the roles that we ask him to play.”

Davis saw spot duty last season, usually as a third-down rusher. He said he’d stand on the sideline waiting, ready to play, never sitting down.

His next adjustment will be going from a pass rush pinch hitter, of sorts, to the heart of the pass rush. Davis may play 50, 60, 70 snaps per game. That wears on a guy — even a player as fresh as Davis must be.

But he believes he’ll be fine.

“I saw (teammates) do it last year and I’ve taken the exact same amount of reps they are, so I’m not worried about being tired,” Davis said. “I’m going to go 100 percent every play.”

sam.mckewon@owh.com, 402-219-3790, twitter.com/swmckewonOWH

IF YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE INTERESTING CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON, BETTER YET LEAVE A COMMENT

• 34260229?profile=original

A breezy look at Huskers poised for a breakout in 2017

Nebraska’s season gets underway in a little more than a week and the year should provide several players an opportunity to make a name for themselves, as graduation of others and the hard work in the offseason has opened the door.

Here’s four players who have been in the program going on at least three years and could create some Nebraska memories with strong seasons, if they translate the good work in camp to the official games.

Luke Gifford — This is a name Nebraska fans have been hearing more and more through fall camp. At one point Trent Bray called Gifford a potential playmaker, as the linebacker has came away with a handful of interceptions and fumble recoveries.

Gifford has developed into a good linebacker prospect for Nebraska over the past two seasons under Bray’s watch. He started his career as a safety and has since got his weight up over 240 pounds, allowing him to retain athleticism, but pack the necessary punch as a hitter. Gifford may even be used in pass rushing situations by Nebraska.

Tyler Hoppes — This tight end has also received a lot of publicity for his strong play during the spring and the fall. Hoppes has shown good athleticism and nice hands, quickly becoming one of the favorite targets of Tanner Lee.

Nebraska wants to get the ball to its tight ends. Hoppes has shown during camp that he can be tricky to cover, with just the right amount of speed, to really make linebackers struggle and the size to post up safeties in short areas. Look for Hoppes to put up numbers early in the season as teams struggle to figure out who he is and what he can do.

Eric Lee — This cornerback enters his third season with the program and now has a chance to cash in on the high ranking he earned in the 2015 class. The former four-star has been kind of forgotten as the Huskers have chased other defensive backs, but a good spring and fall camp has Lee in position to be a starting cornerback.

Lee really took to strength and conditioning, building the upper body, while remaining fluid in movement. That’s going to allow him to get physical with receivers, get them off routes and disrupt timing. Lee is a hard worker and an injury to senior Chris Jones opened the door for him to playing time.

Mikale Wilbon — Perhaps a surprise name on the list, but Wilbon has been around this program as long as Gifford has and showed flashes of breaking out in both 2015 and 2016, but never got the necessary volume of work to do so.

Wilbon will never have a better opportunity than in 2017. The Huskers haven’t completely established anyone at running back this season. The door is open and Wilbon is the fastest of Nebraska’s back, so he’s got a skill the team can use.

Author

Mike Schaefer

IF YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE INTERESTING CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON, BETTER YET LEAVE A COMMENT

• Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, text

• Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, meme and text

This reply was deleted.