The latest news about all things Husker, stop back throughout the day to get updates as they become available.  Go Big Red!

What you'll find in today's news:

Progress of several Husker true freshmen leave some in position to play this year

Lightbourn builds consistency, confidence heading into sophomore season

Young players have to bide time and wait on opportunities

Former Husker Adam Carriker has lots to offer in new career path

Does Bookie Still Love Us?

Assessing the Field in the Backfield

Stoll feels ready to do his part for Husker tight ends

Bob Diaco may have instant impact on Blackshirts, but this Husker DC will have more time to work

Teams outside AP Top 25 who will finish the season ranked

Nebraska commit Brendan Radley-Hiles’ diary: A new season begins:  Plays Saturday on ESPNU  

The former Huskers kicker The former Huskers kicker Brett Maher is now with the Ottawa Redblacks

Huskers narrowing in on special teams contributors

Opponent Watch:  What was learned from Oregon's third week of preseason practice

Pump up videos and more!

IF YOU FOUND THE ARTICLES INTERESTING CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON  

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Must say, when 2 *, recruited by nobody, Katlin Bradley, is pushing for starting time @ rb, that concerns me. Our end are serviceable, nobody that scares anybody.
    • Jay-lin, that is...
  • 34260155?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Thanks in part to new defensive coordinator Bobby Diaco, NFL scouts have their eye on several Nebraska Cornhuskers defenders, including Aaron Williams (24).

Why the NFL loves Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive coordinator Bobby Diaco

“When you bring a new coach in, some of the guys just blossom because of the change in coaching and what have you,” Dan Shonka, a longtime pro scout and general manager with Ourlads.com, told Land of 10 when asked about Diaco, the Nebraska Cornhuskers’ defensive coordinator.

“[Because] that’s another thing: Anytime you get a new coach like Diaco, you’ve got to study those guys, because they’re in [a system] which is going to be different. Diaco’s always on their ass, flying around. That’ll be a good thing, to see how that defense plays under Diaco.”

In other words, the scouts wandering around the Hawks Center in their nifty Nike polos this spring and summer aren’t just there to ogle Tanner Lee.

The NFL loves guys who translate. Diaco — the 3-4 scheme, the infectious energy, the swagger, the moxie — translates.

“I think there’s reason to think so, when you look at those two [defensive backs] at such a random spot as Connecticut, and his ability to prep them,” Pro Football Focus analyst Josh Liskiewitz noted. “And we’ve talked about Nebraska and how tough it is to get kids there. In today’s game, you can’t go on ‘name’ alone …  I think that’s perfectly legit. If he gets that rep, that’s huge for them.”

Before he was a first-round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys, Byron Jones played for Diaco at UConn. So did Obi Melifonwu, a second-round draft choice of the Oakland Raiders this past spring.

The NFL loves guys who produce impact pieces. So say what you will about Diaco’s tenure as the Huskies’  coach from 2014-2016, and the train cars that occasionally left the rails. But from 2015-2017, UConn placed two defenders in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. In the three seasons prior, they’d managed one.

Diaco was Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator from 2010 through 2013. From 2011-2015, the Irish saw 11 defenders drafted into the NFL ranks. In the five seasons prior to Diaco’s fingerprints, they’d totaled seven.

“One of the [podcast] features we’ve been doing, we looked at all the sound bites and quotes in relation to their draft prospects.” Liskiewitz continued. “So many of the [teams] that talk about, ‘We love guys from Alabama and Michigan.’ And those are guys that win a lot, but the reason they want them is that those guys come ‘pro-ready.’ They’re ready to come in and play. And I think we’re going to see more and more of that …

“So if you’ve got a guy like Diaco who can develop, even if it’s these defensive backs. If they can play at the next level, if they’re performing at the NFL level like Byron Jones is and Obi Melifonwu will do, I do think that it’s reasonable to think that it’s something [NFL teams] would strive to do with him.”

Your serve, Joshua Kalu.

You, too, Lamar Jackson.

I haven’t studied [much] on tape on [Aaron] Williams, the safety,” said Shonka, who’s also a selector for the East-West Shrine Game. “I’ve got a note to look at him during the year, to see how his improvement is, how he comes along.”

Everybody’s curious now, and that’s the first step in bringing the mojo back. In the first 12 NFL drafts of the 21st century, the Huskers saw an average of 2.6 defenders taken over the course of the seven rounds. Since 2012, that total has slipped to 1.5 defenders — a drop of more than a player per spring.

Bill Callahan and his group did a great job recruiting; Bo Pelini was kind of more mediocre,” Shonka said. “The system was different. They used to go to Texas and California and Florida and they used to cherry-pick the best players. I don’t think it’s as strong a roster as it has been.”

The NFL loves guys who inherit straw and spin it into gold.

“Tell you what, there are going to be good players coming out of there,” Shonka said.

“And most teams can use that to build from the bottom of their roster, if they’ve done a great job studying these guys in the offseason.”

The NFL loves guys who feed the beast. And the appetite for destruction never, ever gets old

Why the NFL loves Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive coordinator Bobby ...

Sean Keeler  @SeanKeeler

• Go Big Blackshirts!
  • Image may contain: text

• For you hunters out there, this is probably the best way for you to get a buck in your truck.....look closely

Image may contain: car

• Micah Parson write up from Tyler DonohueTyler Landof10:  What are our chances of getting him to play for DONU?

. DE/LB Micah Parsons (6-3, 235) – uncommitted

High School: Harrisburg (Harrisburg)

ohio state recruiting-buckeyes-football-micah parsons-2018Micah Parsons has visited Ohio State twice since April. (Jeremy Birmingham/Land of 10)

Perhaps a full junior season from Jurkovec would’ve enhanced the debate here but Micah Parsons is a slam-dunk selection as the top prospect in Pennsylvania entering his final prep campaign. The former Penn State pledge serves as a catalyst on both sides of the ball for Harrisburg, where he transferred last fall. Parsons owns more than 40 sacks and 60 tackles for loss through three high school seasons, and warrants respect for his abilities as a rusher and receiver. There is some thought he could command looks on offense in college. Based on what I witnessed during his MVP performance at a 7-on-7 tournament in State College this summer, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. Parsons plays pissed off and it shows in his production. Opponents fear him and fellow top-tier defensive prospects from across the country have told me he’s the guy they want to line up alongside throughout college. Defensive strategists can expand their imagination with a talent like Parsons, implementing him in a three-point stance or stand-up position in a slew of spots that keeps the opposition uncomfortable. I don’t see the average Power 5 offensive tackle handling his quickness, especially if his pre-snap positioning is unpredictable. His competitive drive is off the charts, and leads me to believe he can make an impact on any college football field next fall. As a freshman, Parsons could pressure the quarterback multiple times per game and rank among team leaders in tackles for loss. Beyond that, as he becomes increasingly indoctrinated with a program’s culture and schematics, Parsons projects as a double-digit sack threat moving toward an imminent NFL payday if he remains on track. A return to Penn State’s class is possible, though alternative options at schools such as Alabama, Nebraska and Ohio state loom large.

• Micah Parsons,
      Is a must get. Parrella, pulls this one of he deserves a raise.
This reply was deleted.