Husker Spot - Nebraska Football Network

Nebraska Football Fan Online Community

Watson Gone After Bowl Game

Nebraska's Shawn Watson Fired After Seven Seasons as Offensive Coordinator

By Johnny Cornfed
Huskerspot.com News

"We’ve lost faith in his ability to maximize Taylor Martinez at quarterback," Athletic Director Tom Osborne said this morning at a press conference at Memorial Stadium where he announced that Bo Pelini will be letting Shawn Watson, Offensive Coordinator for Nebraska, go after the Bowl game.

Nebraska Head Football Coach Bo Pelini also announced today that he has completed the process of hiring a new Offensive Coordinator.

Pelini’s announcement that Taylor’s father, Casey Martinez, will replace Watson as Offensive Coordinator for the Nebraska football program has caught many of the Husker Nation off guard.  “Casey was with the ISU football team 1988 through 1990,” said Pelini, “He even set five strength and conditioning records with the Cyclones.”

Coach Pelini said this hire brings the offense the overall characteristics he was looking for in Nebraska assistants.  “I was asked about the qualities I look for in assistant coaches, and I mentioned teachers, communicators and high-energy people.  I think Casey will be a great teacher for the young men in our program, and especially for Taylor.”

Bo Pelini said Cotton and Gilmore will assist him in getting Casey Martinez up to speed in a variety of roles including associate and assistant head coach.

“In addition to coaching the offense, C-Mart will assist me in a number of key administrative duties within our program,” Pelini said. “Ted will continue as our receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, but under the direction of Martinez.”

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On a serious note though, I'm not a fan of Coach Watson's offense, but i understand we are running the zone-read option to take advantage of T-Mart's capabilities and disguise our weaknesses (WR depth/talent).  I don't belive it is all Coach Watson's fault for our offensive ineffectiveness during the 2nd half of the season, but i do believe we need to go to a more balanced pro-style offense to compete in the Big Ten (i.e. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa) and also offer packages to go into the zone-read to keep defenses off guard.  Either way it's a lot easier to move the ball with passing than running and we seem to have gotten away from that.  We need to get more talent (Speed) at WR and i only see one recruit coming so far.  Is Oklahoma State's Off Coordinator available?  He was at Texas Tech before with Mike Leach and they had no trouble moving the football. 

I don't think I'll knock Watson.  There's too much I don't know about.  I wish him the best of luck where ever he may go.  I had a feeling some of the coaching staff would change eventually with Bo taking the reins as head coach...especially with us moving to the Big 10.

I emailed this to Unsportsmanlike conduct, so listen today.  I want to know if they mention it, but I have to wait for the podcast t go up tomorrow.

RSS

Live Husker links

Listen to Unsportsmanlike Conduct (KOZN - AM 1620) here
Listen to KNTK The ticket FM for the latest sports news.  Catch Steven Sipple Show from 6-8 AM CDT here
Click here
to see latest podcast from ESPN
Click here for the latest show!
The Bottom Line-logoOmaha World Herald THE BOTTOM LINE, click here
Fox Sports radio  click here

Looking for Husker stuff?

Members

Nebraska Cornhuskers Auction Items

nebraska husker shirts, tickets, caps

Husker Spot is a Nebraska football fan online community. Create a profile, watch videos, view pictures, blog, and discuss UN athletics.

Husker Stuff on Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by NeFan4Life.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service