Brian Christophersons 2015 outlook

Peering into the cupboard: Husker offensive position breakdown

The man whose work ethic always provided a picture of how high the bar is supposed to be, who turned 2-yard runs into 8-yard runs and occasionally 58-yard game-saving runs, was walking to the bus.

His final walk to the bus as a Husker.

“It feels just like yesterday I was watching the senior class from my freshman year,” Ameer Abdullah said Dec. 27. “I was thinking, ‘Man, I've got time before I have to deal with stuff like that.’ But here I am, man, I’m done with being a Husker.”

The Holiday Bowl postgame conversation with reporters lasted a few more minutes. Before it was over, Abdullah turned leader one last time, offering a quick thought about Nebraska football in 2015.

His words might also be described as a final challenge to his teammates.

“Should be a good team. I know what kind of character they have,” he said. “I know they’re going to attack this offseason. I know they’re going to make the most of it.”

It begins anew in a week, when new coach Mike Riley plans to meet with the Huskers. While there's no Abdullah, present will be a group of players who should see wide-open opportunity no matter how the depth chart appeared at the end of 2014.

“I have to learn this team,” Riley told reporters last week.

Who will be looking back at him next week as he begins to learn it in full? Starting Sunday with the offense, we take a position-by-position look on who is gone, who remains, and who might captivate our attention in the eight-month buildup to another football game.

QUARTERBACK

Departures: None.

Starting experience: Tommy Armstrong (21 games).

In a nutshell: So you’ve got a new coach and five quarterbacks on scholarship. Think that might draw a Spring Game crowd? Armstrong has the experience edge (he's 16-5 as a starter) and is widely respected in the locker room for his toughness. “He’s the toughest kid I’ve ever met, man,” Abdullah said after the Holiday Bowl. “He’s a warrior. He stands in the pocket. He takes hits. He runs the ball. … Today was a great showing of what kind of character he has.”

The Holiday Bowl, in some ways, showed all sides of Armstrong. He got away with some ill-advised throws (four dropped interceptions by USC in the first half), before showing off his best attributes in the second half. He threw for 381 yards in the game, ran for 41, and pulled off a beautiful improvisational play to find Jordan Westerkamp for a 65-yard touchdown just when it seemed you might count Nebraska out. He was better than USC quarterback Cody Kessler in crunch time. A fighter, no doubt.

But it stands to reason backups such as Johnny Stanton (who saw more reps with the 2s during bowl practices) and Ryker Fyfe are eager for the possibilities that come with a new coach. Riley recruited Stanton when Riley was coaching at Oregon State. Stanton was the first to greet him when he walked into the building the day he was hired.

It will come down to consistency between the lines. Who can process the quickest what Riley wants out of his offense? Given Riley and new offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf’s track record of grooming quarterbacks, all should have a hop in their step.

Wild card(s): Few players look better coming off the bus than AJ Bush, who was one of the last off the field during several bowl practices. There’s some rawness to his game, but he's an impressive 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds and a workaholic. "It was almost to the point where it was, 'You guys have to quit throwing so many routes at night, and get to study hall,'" said former Husker assistant Barney Cotton. And Zack Darlington? For a first-year guy, he didn't seemed to be overwhelmed and kept mistakes to a minimum. A coach’s son, he’ll pick things up fast.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Departures: Jake Cotton, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini.

Starting experience: Alex Lewis (13), Zach Sterup (10), Givens Price (2), Ryne Reeves (1), Dylan Utter (1).

In a nutshell: Three regular starters from 2014 are gone, but new O-line coach Mike Cavanaugh should like what meets him in his room. Some of those guys are at ground level right now, the ceiling is high enough. Just consider some of last year's redshirts who now enter the competition: Nick Gates, who could play any of the three positions; guard Tanner Farmer, who boasts incredible strength for such a young player; and Jerald Foster, who wowed coaches this past year. He was co-offensive scout-team MVP. Then there's developing sophomore David Knevel, who in his third year in the program might now be ready to make a move.

Nebraska's top five offensive tackles from last year all return, most notably Lewis and Sterup, who have plenty of game lessons under their belt now, and would ideally provide strong senior leadership. The battle at center could be fun. Reeves, if he can stay healthy, might be the presumed favorite. But Paul Thurston now has some snaps under his belt. So does spark plug Utter. Gates can play the spot. Chongo Kondolo is capable of playing center or guard. Wherever they stood at the end of 2014, there are fresh eyes evaluating them now. That alone should drive competition.

Wild card: Matt Finnin. The junior-college transfer was considered the fifth tackle for much of the season. But he had a strong finish, receiving the majority of reps at right tackle against Iowa and USC. In his third and final year in the program, the 6-foot-7, 305-pounder has some momentum on his side heading into 2015.

RUNNING BACK/FULLBACK

Departure: Ameer Abdullah.

Starting experience: Andy Janovich (4).

In a nutshell: "I wish Ameer was coming back," Riley told the ESPN announcers as Abdullah ripped off one of his long kickoff returns in the Holiday Bowl. You don't just replace Nebraska's No. 2 all-time career rushing leader. He ran for 1,611 yards in 2014 despite being dinged-up in November and missing almost an entire game. The other Husker running backs ran for a combined 762 yards.

But for all the backs in the program — from senior Imani Cross, to junior Terrell Newby, to Adam Taylor and Mikale Wilbon — there has to be some excitement now that there's a legit chance to be "The Man." Cross has the most experience and this is his big chance to show any doubters he is more than a short-yardage guy. The younger guys may get more buzz, but Cross was the best back last spring not named Abdullah. He'll come to work. Others better match it.

Newby has been described by Abdullah as the most talented back in the room, but needs to take his game up to prove it now that the Abdullah shadow is gone. Taylor has to be bouncing off walls at a chance to just play in a game. After redshirting in 2013, he broke his ankle in fall camp. He's 19, but looks 10 years older. When Riley and coaches look at Newby and Taylor, they're looking at arguably the best running back recruits from California and Texas two years ago. But both have had their roadblocks. It's Year 3 in the program for each. Which one is ready to break out?

Wild card: That'd be Wilbon, who earned very high praise from coaches and teammates on the scout team this fall, sharing offensive scout-team MVP honors with Foster. At 5-9 and 190 pounds, he's riding some of the same momentum Taylor had a year ago. You hear good things, but now it's about translating those things from scout team to the real show. Also, senior fullback Janovich is worth mention here. What role might he find in Riley's pro-style offense?

WIDE RECEIVER/TIGHT END

Departure: Kenny Bell.

Starting experience: Cethan Carter (14), Jordan Westerkamp (11), Alonzo Moore (7), Jamal Turner (6), De'Mornay Pierson-El (5), Sam Cotton (5), Sam Burtch (2), Brandon Reilly (1), Trey Foster (1).

In a nutshell: No more 'fro. That loss shouldn't be understated. Since Kenny Bell played so many years, it was easy to take for granted exactly how much stress he put on a defense. He also blocked like a maniac.

But Riley is going to find a nice 1-2 punch at receiver in Pierson-El and Westerkamp. As USC found out, Pierson-El is more than a return man now. No. 15 could be the best weapon Riley has on offense. There are other intriguing pieces on the outside. It's a good time to mention Burtch, who was expected to emerge in 2014 but never took a snap because of a torn ACL in September. Moore was sometimes plagued by drops but has some freak athleticism that will jump out at coaches seeing him for the first time. Reilly had a chunk of his 2014 season interrupted by injury, but has speed and big catches from late in the season that this staff won't miss. Taariq Allen, now a senior, is another veteran to keep in mind.

The tight ends may be as eager as anybody. Riley likes using tight ends. That's good news for Carter, who showed off his hands in the Holiday Bowl. Carter had six catches this season. Here's guessing he'll be much more active on the stat sheet in 2015.

Wild card: It has been a long and winding road for Turner, with injuries slowing him much of his junior season, then canceling out his senior season almost as soon as it began. If there was a silver lining, Turner's torn Achilles tendon occurred in Week 2, allowing him a medical redshirt season. New staff, new opportunity. If fully healthy and motivated, he still has much to offer.

​Reach the writer at 402-473-7439 or bchristopherson@journalstar.com. On Twitter @HuskerExtraBC.

Copyright 2015 JournalStar.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

You need to be a member of Huskerspot3 to add comments!

Join Huskerspot3

Email me when people reply –