Husker Spot - Nebraska Football Network

Nebraska Football Fan Online Community

Nebraska Not Playing Oklahoma? How Do You Feel About That?!

Do you guys think that the hype and fanfare has died down more than normal for the annual Nebraska / Oklahoma game? I think that after four years with Callahan, a lot of the great Cornhusker traditions have been forgotten.

I just read this article here about the declining "fervor" that is being experienced with the Nebraska Oklahoma rivalry. It's a good article - and I learned that Nebraska won't be playing OU every year starting in 2011 and 2012. How sad! I really hate this and wish it could change - Osborne goes on to explain why and how this situation has happened.

Are you guys going to miss the annual rivalry of NU/OU? What will you miss?

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Number one, OU and NU haven't played on a yearly basis since the inception of the Big 12 and unless there was a realignment of the Big 12, which won't happen, they never will again. As it stands, we will play them two consecutive games every four years.

There really is no longer an rivalry between the two schools, not as it once was. The rivalry only exists in the form of North/South. I guess you would have to use KU, KSU or CU as schools that now are rivals. Many contend that KU and KSU are not rivals as they are not teams that will be a lasting challenge to NU. MU could fall into that category also. Yes they will have periodically challenging teams, but not on a consistent basis to be looked at as a rivalry.

The only fanfare to this game today is these are to former rivals who once contended for supremcy in the Big 8 every year. Maybe some bragging rights for recruits that are being sought by both programs, but no longer a rivalry, just a very important game for both teams.
I for one am "old school" and look forward to the time we do get to play. The NU/OU games hold a special place in my heart and I try to keep the excitement of our rivalry alive in my son and all younger Husker fans. I wish that it could be the yearly Thanksgiving event it once was, but I don't see that ever happening again.

"Battle of the Big Reds" the way it should be.

GBR
I am looking for to the years ahead where we will be playing every year - the first week in December . . .
The rivalary with OU has been dead for a while and isn't coming back. I've stopped missing it and moved on. We may not get another "true rivalry" for a long time. While CU, KSU, or ISU are logical geographical choices, until they can consistently compete with us on the field, they'll only be wannabes. Mizzou? They will always hate KU, first and foremost.

RSS

Live Husker links

Listen to Unsportsmanlike Conduct (KOZN - AM 1620) here
Listen to KNTK The ticket FM for the latest sports news.  Catch Steven Sipple Show from 6-8 AM CDT here
Click here
to see latest podcast from ESPN
Click here for the latest show!
The Bottom Line-logoOmaha World Herald THE BOTTOM LINE, click here
Fox Sports radio  click here

Looking for Husker stuff?

Members

Nebraska Cornhuskers Auction Items

nebraska husker shirts, tickets, caps

Husker Spot is a Nebraska football fan online community. Create a profile, watch videos, view pictures, blog, and discuss UN athletics.

Husker Stuff on Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by NeFan4Life.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service