Husker Spot - Nebraska Football Network

Nebraska Football Fan Online Community

Click here for the latest news out of Dear Ole Nebraska U!  we will update throughout the day to bring you latest Husker news.  Go BIG Red!

McQUITTY out for the Season!  Read Article below!

IF YOU FOUND THESE ARTICLES INTERESTING PLEASE HIT THE "LIKE" BUTTON

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alex Davis ready for bigger Things One of the team's most impressive physical specimens, Davis strives to stay focused on his responsibilities in the scheme — and be right 100 percent of the time.

John Parella and Blackshirts seeking Defensive Line Depth.  Who will step up to fill the void?

Tom Shatel explores what it means for assistant  Trent Bray to remain at Nebraska under first year Defensive Coordinator Bob Diaco.

Huskers Ranked No. 5 in AVCA Preseason Poll

NU Website

The Nebraska volleyball team will begin the 2017 season at No. 5 in the AVCA Preseason Coaches Poll, which was released on Wednesday.

The Huskers totaled 1,313 points in the poll to earn a top-five preseason ranking for the third straight season. Texas took the No. 1 spot with 25 first-place votes, while defending national champion Stanford earned the No. 2 ranking despite having the most first-place votes, 35. Washington and Minnesota were ranked third and fourth, respectively, each receiving two first-place votes.

The Huskers, who finished 31-3 last year and reached the NCAA semifinals for a second straight year, will open the season against No. 18 Oregon at the VERT Challenge in Gainesville, Florida on Friday, Aug. 25. NU will also face No. 12 Florida on Saturday, Aug. 26 in Gainesville.

If the Huskers are to repeat as Big Ten Champions for the first time since joining the conference in 2011, they will have to navigate a loaded Big Ten Conference once again. Eight Big Ten teams are ranked in the preseason poll - more than any other conference - and four teams are ranked in the top seven (No. 4 Minnesota, No. 5 Nebraska, No. 6 Penn State, No. 7 Wisconsin). Nebraska has 14 matches scheduled against preseason top-25 teams, and 10 of its first 18 matches will be against ranked opponents. 

Nebraska will hold its annual Red/White Scrimmage on Saturday, Aug. 19 at 7 p.m. at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. Tickets are on sale here

Husker Mens Basketball announces non conference schedule.

Huskers Host Colorado College in Exhibition Play, Aug. 12 at 7:05 p.m. (CT) at Barbara Hibner Stadium.

Quick Notes

• Nebraska returns 48 percent of its goals from last season (12 of 25).

• Nebraska returns 45 percent of its assists from last season (9 of 20).

• Nebraska returns 100 percent of its goalkeeper saves from last season (78).

• Haley Hanson had the second-most points (17), second-most goals (7) and tied for the second-most assists last season (3). Hanson also recorded the third-most shots (30) and second-most shots on goal (19) in 2016.

• Sinclaire Miramontez played the third-most minutes among all Huskers last season (2,088), and second-most among non-goalkeepers. Goalkeeper Aubrei Corder played every minute (2,109) during the 2016 campaign. Haley Hanson played the fourth-most minutes on the team (2,059).

• Haley Hanson has the most career appearances for the Huskers, having played in 56 games at Nebraska. Alli Peterson has made 50 appearances for the Big Red.

Newby relishing these "dog" days of his final Husker season

Husker senior is eager to fly around in an outside linebacker role that seems tailored to his strengths

Newby believes that energy and realness from a coach is something this Husker defense needs. He's hoping it leads to a memorable final few notes in a career for him that he can't believe is now nearing its end.

This is Newby's fifth fall camp. That's a lot of laboring beneath the sun. But it still doesn't seem so long ago to him that he was walking onto that practice field in Lincoln for the first time in 2013.   (Read entire article at link above)

Video of the Day

Fuk yeah there is no place like Nebraska!

Come one Husker Fans

Bo Pelini defends choice to allow convicted rapist on team......Do you miss this?

Excerpts from the Articles Q/A:

Now, in 2017, as YSU students prepare to return to school and spend fall nights watching their football team play, there is a huge problem. That problem is that Richmond will be on the field, playing a game. He will be representing the university and all that it stands for. President Tressel and Coach Pelini, are you more concerned with your football team's status than the disgusting rape of a young girl?

For many years, athletes have constantly been given additional chances because they are athletes. What does this say about rape culture? That athletes can do no wrong; that they can get away with anything because of how they perform on the field or in the gym?

Does he deserve a second chance? Yes, he does, and he is receiving that second chance by furthering his education on YSU's campus. Does he deserve the privilege of playing on a football team and representing a university? Absolutely not. Education is a right, whereas playing on a sports team is not.

Click on link above to read entire article

Corn Flakes: Skeptical About Diaco’s Defense

Too many glowing articles about Bob Diaco have made me skeptical about our defense. I’m a contrarian. It’s in my DNA.
From the Article:  I am very skeptical about Bob Diaco’s defense. We’ve seen article after article about his energy and his enthusiasm and how the previous defensive coordinator didn’t get that excited about things and we blame Mark Banker the same way any organization, football or your job, blames the last guy fired for everything bad that’s happened.

I don’t have a lot of faith that we’re going to have a good defensive line. I am skeptical of our linebackers ability to learn a new defense. Overall, I wonder if our defense is going to stop above average offenses in conference play. I think they’ll struggle.

That’s why I am hoping that the offense gets its crap together.

Click on link above to read entire article

NU assistant Trent Bray’s choice to stay in Lincoln shows Diaco Effect isn’t limited to players

LINCOLN — Maybe it comes on a goal-line stand next month in Duck Country.

Perhaps it’s sometime during the Wisconsin-Ohio State homestand in October. That would be timely.

A turnover. A sack. An open-field tackle on third down.

Maybe Bob Diaco comes down from the press box and makes the play himself.

We’re expecting a Diaco Effect this season. That’s why the defensive guru was hired. It’s on his résumé. It’s in his voice. It’s in his coaching. Impact.

How long will it take for Diaco to have that impact? Good question.

Answer: I’ve already seen it.

Actually, I spoke to Trent Bray after practice on Tuesday. Bray is entering his third season as linebackers coach for Mike Riley. And there’s your Diaco impact.

See, Bray is a young star in the coaching business. Bright, passionate, good communicator. On the elevator up. He’ll be a coordinator soon.

It could have happened this offseason. Bray was offered the D.C. gig at San Jose State, not a bad place to cut one’s coordinator teeth.

Bray had every reason to take it, too. Mark Banker, his friend, colleague and former coach at Oregon State, had been fired by Riley.

The job wasn’t going to Bray. No, Riley needed an immediate impact guy. Diaco got the call.

Diaco is a 3-4 defense guy. Bray didn’t know him. Diaco also likes to coach linebackers, Bray’s area. Again, every reason for Bray to take his talents to the West Coast.

But he said no way, San Jose.

“There were a number of reasons,” Bray said.

“One was I feel like I have unfinished business here with the kids I brought here. I wanted to finish it with them here because I think we can win a championship here. I believe that and I want to do that.

“But another reason was Coach Diaco.

“I think I can still learn a lot and what I learn now will help me tremendously in the future. It’s another way to do things. I’ve learned a ton from Coach Diaco. It’s made me a better coach.”

Keeping Bray around is solid impact. Adding him to Diaco’s think tank is like having two defensive coordinators. Their collective eyes will be on the four linebackers who make up the biggest puzzle pieces in this 3-4.

That’s probably a season-long transition in most places. But everything about Diaco’s arrival says urgency. He wasn’t hired to win in 2018 or 2019. He was hired to transform the defense now.

There are no magic wands in coaching, yet there’s a mystique to Diaco. A swagger that pours out of his skin.

It comes from coaching a Notre Dame club in the national title game. What you’ll hear and know is that Diaco was coaching ND talent, NFL talent, there. And it’s true, much of the genius of coaching is having players.

But it’s equally true that great coaches can lift up lower talent to higher levels. NU has good talent on defense, potentially great in spots. Two years ago, Nebraska had a pair of NFL defensive tackles.

That defense finished 12th in total defense in the Big Ten during a 6-7 season.

NU’s issues of late have been leadership, passion and urgency. Some games it was there — Wisconsin. Some games it wasn’t — Iowa.

Diaco seems to ooze urgency. To a man, his new disciples grimace at the idea of having that impact show up later in the season. They don’t want to wait.

“Absolutely,” Bray says. “I expect us to play great defense right away.”

Right now there’s a buzz around Diaco as he preaches and teaches nonstop. It’s all swagger and mystique and that’s OK. It’s been so long since the Blackshirts had either.

Believing you can be great — expecting it — is the first step to achieving it.

Everyone is saying all the right things now. Players talk about Diaco’s standard and accountability and intensity. How they already don’t want to let him down.

Again, that’s a good thing, but it comes with this grain of salt: Most new coordinators bring the hope of a fresh start. Two years ago, we heard from NU starters how much easier Banker’s defense was from Bo Pelini, and thus, easier to execute.

Click Link for Complete Story

By Tom Shatel OWH

RSS

Live Husker links

Listen to Unsportsmanlike Conduct (KOZN - AM 1620) here
Listen to KNTK The ticket FM for the latest sports news.  Catch Steven Sipple Show from 6-8 AM CDT here
Click here
to see who's on line talking about the Cornhuskers
Click here for the latest show!

Looking for Husker stuff?

Members

Nebraska Cornhuskers Auction Items

nebraska husker shirts, tickets, caps

Husker Spot is a Nebraska football fan online community. Create a profile, watch videos, view pictures, blog, and discuss UN athletics.

Husker Stuff on Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by NeFan4Life.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service