Husker Spot - Nebraska Football Network

Nebraska Football Fan Online Community

You will find a lot of Nebraska fans!

You will find a few Runza restaurants too!

Did you know you will also find a really awesome Nebraska store owned by one of our championship players?

If you live in Colorado, you have probably heard of the Big Red of the Rockies. It is a store dedicated to Husker fans like us. It is in the town of Estes Park just northwest of Denver. A few years ago Jesse Kosch, a Husker player from the 94,95 and 98 championship team purchased the store. It is fun to go in and take a look at all of the Husker clothing and collectibles they have. He has some great stories to tell about some of our glory days.

If you don't live in Colorado but travel here, it is a great place to check out.

They hosted Carl Pelini awhile back and Husker fans were invited to a banquet to welcome him to the team.

You may want to check out the Big Red of the Rockies website for other happenings coming up
http://bigredoftherockies.com/

Views: 1929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have lived in the Denver area for two years now and have never herd of this store. I would agree, Colorado is a great place and the Husker fans out here are the best. Great Post!
I live near Des Moines. We have Husker fans out here too! Plus a mulitude of sports bars that cater to the Husker fans. Unfortunately, we dont have any Runza Hut's out here. Why is that???? If anyone cares, way back when, in the early 70's, my Dad built the first Runza Hut in Omaha. The very first. Then he built the second one. My Mom has the original recipe, written in the original typo, by the original owner. Whenever I go back to the state of Big Red, I ALWAYS get a Runza. But they just dont compare to the ones my Mom make...(sigh). I think the people of Iowa are missing out when it comes to Runza's, and the power of BIG RED!!
Hi Gayle,

That is a great story...thanks for sharing! Would you mind sharing your recipe for Runzas?

Thanks
Mikie
I will be passing through Colorado on my way to Nebraska next month. I am sad to say I wont be making it to Estes Park, but beleive me the wife and I already have dinner reservations at the first Runza we see. I can't wait.

Go Big Red

Chris
Mikie,
I would LOVE to share the original Runza recipe!! Just let me get it from my Mom, and I will be glad to pass it along. I'll do it as soon as I can...Thanks!
Gayle
Ok People! Here is the original Runza Recipe, given to my Mom in the early '70's, by the original Runza owner, in the original typed text (I copied it exactly). The following recipe will make one dozen Runzas.

DOUGH:

1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
7 cups flour
2 eggs
3 tablespoons melted shortening (cooled)

FILLING:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cups chopped onion
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon worchershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon oregano
pepper

Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water for 5 minutes. Mix in sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour. Add eggs., shortening and 5 cups flour. Cover and let rise until double. Turn out in lightly floured surface, and knead. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 8x6 inches. Place 2/3 cups of the filling into the center and fold and pinch dough on sides and ends together. Turn over and place on greased cookie sheet.

To make the filling, brown the beef, steam the onion and cabbage, and drain off the liquid of all. Add salt and worchestershire and seasonings. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Baste with butter when removed from oven.

We lived in an old house in Aurora. We had floor vents. In the winter, Mom would put the Runza dough on these vents, and cover with a damp towel. That's where they would rise. I have found, that if at all possible, its about the best way to get the dough to rise.

Good luck to anyone who tries! Let me know how it goes!!

Gayle
Gayle,

Thank you so much for sharing. You are so kind. Now there is no excuse for us to feel homesick for the great taste of Runza!! I can't wait to try these. I think I will need to make them for the game this weekend

Thanks again!!!!
Mikie
Mikie,

Please let me know how they are!! Hopefully they'll be great. I know there are shortcuts you can use now, especially with the dough. But it just doesnt compare to doing it by hand. Good luck!!

Gayle
we hail from Nebraska too...every now and again my dad gets a craving for a runza but can't make the trip 'home' to get them anymore..I make them for my family from time to time...I 'cheat' a bit on the recipe though...I use frozen bread dough....there are many other ingrediants you can put in them to spice them up but we still like the 'original' flavored ones the best!!
I think every one that is from Nebraska LOVES Runza. I live in Denver and we don't have any Runza's in Denver. There is one in Loveland and 1 or 2 in Fort Collins. I always stop at one of them every time I get even close to the area.

Getting back to Big Red of the Rockies, I go to a Husker bar on game days called "Cap City" in Denver. It is just North West of the public library downtown. Jesse has been there before on game day with a few things. He also donated prizes to give away at the end of each quarter. I sat next to him most of the night. He was really nice, and I really recommend visiting his shop in Estes if anyone ever gets the chance.
Does anybody know a good Husker bar south of Denver that carries the games?
Hi Landon,

The Fox and the Hound in south Denver shows the Husker games. There is a Fox and Hound in Colorado Springs that shows them as well.

Hope that helps

RSS

Listen to Unsportsmanlike Conduct (KOZN - AM 1620) here

Members

Great Husker Deals

NEBRASKA ADIDAS POLO SHIRT SZ M

$8.97
End Date: Sunday Aug-24-2014 9:26:48 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $8.97
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Nebraska Cornhuskers SHIRTS T-shirt Large running USA MADE

$7.99
End Date: Sunday Aug-24-2014 7:36:04 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $7.99

NCAA Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Adult Small T-Shirt

$3.95
End Date: Saturday Aug-23-2014 11:25:15 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $3.95

adidas NCAA Mens Nebraska Huskers Football Shirt NWT $22 XL

$9.99
End Date: Friday Aug-22-2014 6:01:14 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $9.99

Nebraska Cornhuskers Auction Items

nebraska husker shirts, tickets, caps

Husker Spot is a Nebraska football fan online community. Create a profile, watch videos, view pictures, blog, and discuss UN athletics.

Badge

Loading…

Husker Stuff on Amazon.com

© 2014   Created by NeFan4Life.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service