Husker Spot - Nebraska Football Network

Nebraska Football Fan Online Community

Running the football, Defense are keys to Nebraska Success

Running the football and defense will probably be keys to Nebraska Success in the 2008 football season, according to Shawn Watson.

The Huskers weren’t accomplished in either area during their recent 5-7 season.Thus, the dismissal of Callahan. Basically Watson wants to mold the huskers offense to match the personnel he is working with. Seems pretty logical and smart to me. I wonder why Calahan's big head couldn't realize that you need to tailor your offense and defense (somewhat) to fit the players. Enough of BC though, right?! He's out of here and we're on to new things.

Anyways, I think Watson has a good head on his shoulders and will be an excellent compliment to Pelini. What do you guys think?

You can read more about Watson here.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Watson is the man who made Callahans offense tick. He may not have been the one on the sidelines coaching all season, but he taught the offense to the team. BC was an idea man, Watson is the kind of guy a college needs to Instruct the team on how to execute the plays.

On Defense, with Bo calling the plays, I feel much more confident going into 2008. He brings the fire that has been extinguished for 4 years. The staff he is building is geared toward a more smashmouth style of play, so I look for good things to come in the upcoming season.

GBR
I agree 100 percent.
With the running game we should have some young talent to mix around with, especially if we can land the 4 star prospect from texas. Helu, Castille, possibly Wilson, and Mendoza should make for an interesting run year.
Defensively we are gonna be young and inexperienced but we do have talent. I say start Anthony Blue and Armando Murillo at corner, Thenarse and West at safety, Asante, Dillard, Lawrence, and Culbert at the Linebacker corps, and Zach Potter, Barry Turner, Ndamokong Suh, Kevin Dixon, Shukree Barfield, and Ty Steinkuhler all mix in at d-line and you may have a solid defense. It;s all about how they play as a team.

Back in the 90s when we were THE dominate team we had talent on defense but not a bunch of 5 stars, a lot of them were 3 star athletes that played with great heart and passion for their team, this is what we need to install again, heart and passion.
Offensively the Huskers did not play a punishing style like the old days. They have to get that back so when teams come in to Lincoln they know they are in for a fight. As Osborne said, they have to feel it four days later. Callahan took that away and I hope Watson wasn't overly influenced by Bill's cowardly style. Establish the run then own the game by passing or running...whatever it takes.

Not at all worried about the defense. Bo knows defense and I think the talent is already there. Walkons seem to help defense more than offense too so there might be a diamond in the rough enrolling as we speak.
Watson did not get a chance to implement his style of play under Callahan, although he is a high energy guy who the players like to play for. Watson has a reputation for a balanced attack, a physical running game balanced by an efficient passing game. Look at his years at Colorado for evidence.

I look for the offense to look similar to last year in some ways, but Barney Cotton will coach the line to be more physical. Look for Watson to simplify the offense somewhat but keep the terminology the same. Watson and Gilmore were the two most important coaches to keep off of the old staff, with Cotton being the most important addition for the offense. Also, remember that NU wide receivers were known as great blockers when Ron Brown was the receiver's coach. Our tight ends are in good hands.

I have tremendous faith in the staff. With Pelini running the defense and Watson and Cotton running the offense, 2008 will be a much better year.

Keep the Faith

GBR

RSS

Live Husker links

Listen to Unsportsmanlike Conduct (KOZN - AM 1620) here
Listen to KNTK The ticket FM for the latest sports news.  Catch Steven Sipple Show from 6-8 AM CDT here
Click here
to see who's on line talking about the Cornhuskers
Click here for the latest show!
The Bottom Line-logoOmaha World Herald THE BOTTOM LINE, click here
247 Podcasts click here

Looking for Husker stuff?

Throw the Bones T-shirts supporting the Goodfellows Charity Click here

Members

Nebraska Cornhuskers Auction Items

nebraska husker shirts, tickets, caps

Husker Spot is a Nebraska football fan online community. Create a profile, watch videos, view pictures, blog, and discuss UN athletics.

Husker Stuff on Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by NeFan4Life.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service